Spring is in the air here in Central Point and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Titan Heating & Air Conditioning team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Titan Heating & Air Conditioning in Central Point a call at 541-286-6617.